Your Javascript is DISABLED. This site is best viewed with javascript enabled.




In 1882 Edmund Tyndal Dufton built his home at 16 Elizabeth Street.
Born in England, Mr. Dufton first resided in St. Marys then moved to Stratford in 1870. He managed the Dufton Woolen Mills for 37 years. E.T. Dufton was a member of the Board of Trade, Chamber of Commerce and the General Hospital Trust. He served as Vice-President of the Western Branch of the Manufacturers Association of Canada and was a City Alderman in 1886, 1893, 1895 and 1896. Dufton died in 1919 at the age of 73.
The house was situated on the lot facing southwest in the direction of the Dufton Mill which the family owned and was located on the present site of the Shakespearean Gardens. The remains of the mill's smokestack can be found in the Gardens. Built on high ground on a pie-shaped lot, the house faced the Mill where Mr. Dufton could see the smoke stack from his front windows.
Dufton House was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1995 because of its Italianate architectural style, workmanship, construction, original features and materials. A countryside hunting scene, painted directly on the plastered main entrance hall walls was believed to have been painted in the late 1890's. The ceilings are also elaborately decorated with intricate patterns and moldings. The paintings are bordered by pillars, arches and columns suggesting remnants of a Greek revival style prevalent in the mid 1800s. Wall paintings have been preserved in parts of the upper house as well and include a portrait of Mr. Dufton.

Browse past articles written about the Dufton house

- Mural Article.pdf
- Reflections Article.pdf
- Travel Article.pdf
- Historical Designation.pdf